The entire loop circles the Hātea River, and is accessible for walking, jogging, pushbikes, mobility aids, scooters and push-chairs.
The walkway connects Town Basin, Te Matau a Pohe, William Fraser Memorial Park, Kotuitui Whitinga, Canopy Bridge, Hundertwasser Art Centre, Clapham’s Clocks, Town Basin playground, Reyburn House gallery, a sculpture and heritage Trail, Riverbank Theatre, Waka and Wave Millennium sculpture, and Riverside Park along the way.
The Hātea Loop (Huarahi o te Whai) can be accessed from a variety of points. There is parking at Town Basin car parks, Bascule car park, and Pohe Island car park.
What to expect
- An easy, circular, surfaced walk around the Hātea River with spectacular views of the Marina, lifting bridges, heritage panels and sculpture.
- Dogs are welcome but must be on a leash at all times.
- Numerous activities including Camera Obscura, a dog agility park, family-friendly skatepark and BMX track, playgrounds and parks.
- During business hours, there are also a variety of shops and cafes to enjoy.
- You can also borrow a mobility scooter for free from Whangārei Art Museum to get around the Town Basin and the Loop.